RSS chief mum on ‘friend’ Narendra Modi as PM
Allahabad: RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat on Thursday described Narendra Modi as his "friend" but side-stepped queries on the possible projection of the Gujarat Chief Minister as BJP`s Prime Ministerial candidate, saying he was "not a political person".
"He is my friend", said Bhagwat when asked by reporters what he thought of Narendra Modi.
However, when asked whether he supported the demand for projecting the Gujarat Chief Minister as the Prime Ministerial candidate, the RSS chief said, "I am not a political person.....I am not here on a political visit".
Bhagwat was speaking to mediapersons at the ongoing Maha Kumbh congregation here during which he is likely to attend the "Dharm Sansad" of Sangh Parivar outfit Vishwa Hindu Parishad.
A section of BJP leaders have demanded that Modi be declared as the party`s Prime Ministerial candidate.
VHP leader Ashok Singhal had yesterday said the Gujarat Chief Minister enjoys the same popularity as that of the first Prime Minister Jawahar Lal Nehru.
However, senior Vishwa Hindu Parishad leader Praveen Togadia had on Tuesday ducked queries on the likelihood of VHP pressing for projection of Modi as BJP`s Prime Ministerial candidate.
"I will only say the VHP is committed to helping the Hindus achieve what is their due," he had said when asked about the possibility of VHP pitching for Modi as BJP`s Prime Ministerial candidate.
On Singhal calling Modi "Hindu Hriday Samrat", he had said, "We are engaged in a collective effort. This is not the time to ponder over personal likes and dislikes".
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents