RSS chief mum on ‘friend’ Narendra Modi as PM
Allahabad: RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat on Thursday described Narendra Modi as his "friend" but side-stepped queries on the possible projection of the Gujarat Chief Minister as BJP`s Prime Ministerial candidate, saying he was "not a political person".
"He is my friend", said Bhagwat when asked by reporters what he thought of Narendra Modi.
However, when asked whether he supported the demand for projecting the Gujarat Chief Minister as the Prime Ministerial candidate, the RSS chief said, "I am not a political person.....I am not here on a political visit".
Bhagwat was speaking to mediapersons at the ongoing Maha Kumbh congregation here during which he is likely to attend the "Dharm Sansad" of Sangh Parivar outfit Vishwa Hindu Parishad.
A section of BJP leaders have demanded that Modi be declared as the party`s Prime Ministerial candidate.
VHP leader Ashok Singhal had yesterday said the Gujarat Chief Minister enjoys the same popularity as that of the first Prime Minister Jawahar Lal Nehru.
However, senior Vishwa Hindu Parishad leader Praveen Togadia had on Tuesday ducked queries on the likelihood of VHP pressing for projection of Modi as BJP`s Prime Ministerial candidate.
"I will only say the VHP is committed to helping the Hindus achieve what is their due," he had said when asked about the possibility of VHP pitching for Modi as BJP`s Prime Ministerial candidate.
On Singhal calling Modi "Hindu Hriday Samrat", he had said, "We are engaged in a collective effort. This is not the time to ponder over personal likes and dislikes".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?- Part V
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal