RSS chief mum on ‘friend’ Narendra Modi as PM
Allahabad: RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat on Thursday described Narendra Modi as his "friend" but side-stepped queries on the possible projection of the Gujarat Chief Minister as BJP`s Prime Ministerial candidate, saying he was "not a political person".
"He is my friend", said Bhagwat when asked by reporters what he thought of Narendra Modi.
However, when asked whether he supported the demand for projecting the Gujarat Chief Minister as the Prime Ministerial candidate, the RSS chief said, "I am not a political person.....I am not here on a political visit".
Bhagwat was speaking to mediapersons at the ongoing Maha Kumbh congregation here during which he is likely to attend the "Dharm Sansad" of Sangh Parivar outfit Vishwa Hindu Parishad.
A section of BJP leaders have demanded that Modi be declared as the party`s Prime Ministerial candidate.
VHP leader Ashok Singhal had yesterday said the Gujarat Chief Minister enjoys the same popularity as that of the first Prime Minister Jawahar Lal Nehru.
However, senior Vishwa Hindu Parishad leader Praveen Togadia had on Tuesday ducked queries on the likelihood of VHP pressing for projection of Modi as BJP`s Prime Ministerial candidate.
"I will only say the VHP is committed to helping the Hindus achieve what is their due," he had said when asked about the possibility of VHP pitching for Modi as BJP`s Prime Ministerial candidate.
On Singhal calling Modi "Hindu Hriday Samrat", he had said, "We are engaged in a collective effort. This is not the time to ponder over personal likes and dislikes".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Say hello to 'nastiest' star ever
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy