RSS is threat to the nation, says MPCC
Mumbai: Terming the RSS a "threat" to the nation, Maharashtra Pradesh Congress Committee (MPCC) today said its ideology is against the secular constitution of the country.
"We have a secular constitution, as per which every individual has a right to follow the religion of his choice. But people like (RSS president) Mohan Bhagwat try to divide people by making communal statements," Thakre said here referring to Bhagwat`s recent remark that India is a Hindu nation and Hindutva is its identity.
Thakre was talking to reporters on the sidelines of a function organised to celebrate the birth anniversary of former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi today.
He said that although it was the Congress that initiated the metro rail projects in Maharashtra, the Opposition was trying to take its credit.
"Whether it is in Pune or Nagpur, it is the Congress that has initiated the metro rail projects for the benefit of the people of Maharashtra. But the Modi government is trying to take undue credit. We will not let them mislead the people of the state," he said.
The statement comes a day before Prime Minister Narendra Modi visits Nagpur to lay the foundation stone for the 39 km Nagpur Metro project.
Union Minister Nitin Gadkari had recently refuted allegations of State Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan and Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar that the Centre had cleared Metro project for Nagpur ahead of Pune for "political gains".
Thakre added that the party leadership has not instructed Prithviraj Chavan about not sharing stage with Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
"The CM has not been asked to stay away from events involving PM Narendra Modi. But he has been asked to avoid public rallies with him," Thakre said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened