RTI has slowed down decision-making: Chavan
Mumbai: The advent of RTI Act has slowed
down the decision making process but given a fresh impetus to
transparency in governance, Maharashtra Chief Minister
Prithiviraj Chavan said Monday.
"Everybody has become extremely cautious (because of
introduction of RTI Act). Decision-making has slowed down,
there is no doubt about that. In that transition period we are
moving towards much more transparent governance," he said
while speaking on "The new role of the states: Catalysts for
growth" at the India Economic Summit organised by World
Economic Forum and CII.
Noting that the issues of scams or corruption being
talked about in the media now had not happened last year, or
its previous year or year before that, Chavan said, "It
happened in an environment that decision makers thought their
decision will never be seen by the public.
"Suddenly we have a situation that the rug has been
pulled from under the feet and what you had decided 10-15
years back is coming to light and it is appearing that some
laws have been broken," he said, explaining the reason for the
"extreme caution" that had dragged down the process of
On growing preference of the industry for Gujarat, the
chief minister said some projects did go to the neighbouring
state and that he never insisted that all industrial
investment should come to Maharashtra alone.
"There is huge competition among states which is good,"
he said, adding, "We are completely open to adopting an
initiative that has worked even in BJP-ruled states."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video