Ruchika case: Court rejects Rathore’s plea for parole
Chandigarh: In a major setback to Former Haryana police chief SPS Rathore, convicted for molesting teenager Ruchika Girhotra, the Panchkula court on Wednesday rejected his plea for his release on parole.
The court, while rejecting his parole application, said that Rathore’s act was shameful so his review plea could not be entertained.
The court also stated that rejection of his parole application will enhance people’s faith in the country’s judicial system.
The court’s judgement comes nearly three days after he applied for nearly two weeks parole for looking after crops in his farmhouses.
Rathore, 68, is currently lodged at the Burail jail, and has been sentenced to 18 months rigorous imprisonment by the district and sessions court of Chandigarh after being convicted for molesting the teenager in 1990.
She committed suicide three years later.
Rathore, the former Haryana director general of police, was sent to Burail jail here May 25 after the court upheld his conviction in the molestation case by a CBI special court in December and enhanced his jail term to 18 months.
However, Rathore had also filed a revision petition, challenging the sentence term, in the Punjab and Haryana High Court here, which has reserved its decision.
The complainant`s family has strongly opposed the parole plea of Rathore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo