Ruchika case: HC pulls up CBI over investigation
Chandigarh: Days after the SC granted bail to SPS Rathore in the Ruchika suicide case, the Punjab & Haryana High Court on Wednesday pulled up the CBI and asked it to file the investigation report in all three cases pending against the disgraced former top cop.
The court’s directive came in response to a Public Interest Litigation (PIL) that sought investigations into all possible angles in the Ruchika case.
Ruchika, 14, a budding tennis player, committed suicide three years after being molested by Rathore on August 12, 1990.
The CBI had on November 10 filed the closure report in two of the charges - attempt to murder and wrongful confinement – at the Amabala court. Importantly, the CBI’s move to close two of the three cases – the third relates to abetment to suicide- had come a day before Rathore’s bail plea was to come up for hearing at the Supreme Court.
The CBI had also told the SC that it wants to file the closure report in the third case too after obtaining the permission of the Punjab and High Court.
The closure reports were filed before the CBI court in Ambala which is yet to take a view. The CBI court has issued notices to the Girhotra family.
In view of the CBI’s report, the former top cop was granted bail and has since walked out of jail after 18 months
Today, issuing a notice to CBI, the court has asked the investigating agency to explain the basis on which it cancelled two cases and also explain what it is the status of the third case pending against Rathore.
The court also issued a notice to the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) seeking details of the action, if any, taken by it against Ruchika’s school – Sacred Heart High School.
The Chandigarh administration in its report had said that one of the reasons behind Ruchika committing suicide was the wrongful action taken against the 14-year-old girl by the school.
The High Court has also pulled up the Haryana government has aksed it to explain why Rathore was being promoted when such a case was pending against him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly