Ruchika case: HC pulls up CBI over investigation
Chandigarh: Days after the SC granted bail to SPS Rathore in the Ruchika suicide case, the Punjab & Haryana High Court on Wednesday pulled up the CBI and asked it to file the investigation report in all three cases pending against the disgraced former top cop.
The court’s directive came in response to a Public Interest Litigation (PIL) that sought investigations into all possible angles in the Ruchika case.
Ruchika, 14, a budding tennis player, committed suicide three years after being molested by Rathore on August 12, 1990.
The CBI had on November 10 filed the closure report in two of the charges - attempt to murder and wrongful confinement – at the Amabala court. Importantly, the CBI’s move to close two of the three cases – the third relates to abetment to suicide- had come a day before Rathore’s bail plea was to come up for hearing at the Supreme Court.
The CBI had also told the SC that it wants to file the closure report in the third case too after obtaining the permission of the Punjab and High Court.
The closure reports were filed before the CBI court in Ambala which is yet to take a view. The CBI court has issued notices to the Girhotra family.
In view of the CBI’s report, the former top cop was granted bail and has since walked out of jail after 18 months
Today, issuing a notice to CBI, the court has asked the investigating agency to explain the basis on which it cancelled two cases and also explain what it is the status of the third case pending against Rathore.
The court also issued a notice to the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) seeking details of the action, if any, taken by it against Ruchika’s school – Sacred Heart High School.
The Chandigarh administration in its report had said that one of the reasons behind Ruchika committing suicide was the wrongful action taken against the 14-year-old girl by the school.
The High Court has also pulled up the Haryana government has aksed it to explain why Rathore was being promoted when such a case was pending against him.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'