Ruchika case: Rathore denied bail
Chandigarh: Former Haryana police chief SPS Rathore, convicted for molesting teenager Ruchika Girhotra in 1990, will continue to be in jail till at least June 29, with the Punjab and Haryana High Court Friday adjourning his bail plea and revision petition.
The vacation bench of the High Court said the case would now be taken up by another appropriate bench June 29. Till then, his bail plea would remain pending in the court.
"The high court has adjourned this case till June 29. Now it would be taken up for regular direct hearing before another bench. The court has also summoned the entire trial court`s record for the scrutiny," Ajay Kaushik, a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) lawyer said.
"Rathore has to remain in jail till June 29. In between, he cannot apply for bail in any other court as his case is pending in the high court," he added.
According to sources in the Burail jail here, Rathore, 68, is sharing a cell with seven other prisoners, most of whom are convicted cops. He is treated like any other ordinary convict and no VIP treatment is extended to him.
Many dreaded criminals, including terrorists Jagtar Singh Hawara and Paramjit Singh Bheora, convicted for assassinating Punjab Chief Minister Beant Singh in 1995, are also lodged in the Burail jail.
The former director general of police was convicted for molesting Ruchika Girhotra in 1990 in neighbouring Panchkula town. She committed suicide three years later.
Rathore was sentenced to 18 months rigorous imprisonment by the district and sessions court here.
His wife and counsel Abha Rathore had May 26 filed a bail petition and a revision petition against the court verdict that enhanced Rathore`s sentence to 18 months from the six months given by the CBI court earlier.
They had sought the bail on medical grounds, saying Rathore had undergone a heart bypass surgery and required medical attention.
The high court had then issued notice to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) seeking its reply on the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ISIS threat: Home Ministry holds meeting with 12 state DGPs
- Delhi: Doctor found dead in RML hospital's parking lot
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Playing politics on terror: Is this how the govt will combat terrorism?
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement