Ruchika case: Rathore denied bail
Chandigarh: Former Haryana police chief SPS Rathore, convicted for molesting teenager Ruchika Girhotra in 1990, will continue to be in jail till at least June 29, with the Punjab and Haryana High Court Friday adjourning his bail plea and revision petition.
The vacation bench of the High Court said the case would now be taken up by another appropriate bench June 29. Till then, his bail plea would remain pending in the court.
"The high court has adjourned this case till June 29. Now it would be taken up for regular direct hearing before another bench. The court has also summoned the entire trial court`s record for the scrutiny," Ajay Kaushik, a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) lawyer said.
"Rathore has to remain in jail till June 29. In between, he cannot apply for bail in any other court as his case is pending in the high court," he added.
According to sources in the Burail jail here, Rathore, 68, is sharing a cell with seven other prisoners, most of whom are convicted cops. He is treated like any other ordinary convict and no VIP treatment is extended to him.
Many dreaded criminals, including terrorists Jagtar Singh Hawara and Paramjit Singh Bheora, convicted for assassinating Punjab Chief Minister Beant Singh in 1995, are also lodged in the Burail jail.
The former director general of police was convicted for molesting Ruchika Girhotra in 1990 in neighbouring Panchkula town. She committed suicide three years later.
Rathore was sentenced to 18 months rigorous imprisonment by the district and sessions court here.
His wife and counsel Abha Rathore had May 26 filed a bail petition and a revision petition against the court verdict that enhanced Rathore`s sentence to 18 months from the six months given by the CBI court earlier.
They had sought the bail on medical grounds, saying Rathore had undergone a heart bypass surgery and required medical attention.
The high court had then issued notice to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) seeking its reply on the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly