Ruchika case: Rathore’s attacker gets bail
Chandigarh: A young man, who allegedly
inflicted knife injuries on former Haryana DGP SPS Rathore,
convicted in the Ruchika molestation case, was on Friday granted
bail by a local court here.
29-year-old Utsav Sharma, who is said to be suffering
from a psychological disorder, was enlarged on bail by a Civil
Judge-cum-Magistrate Palwinderjit Kaur on a bond of Rs 50,000.
The court fixed February 24 as the next date of hearing.
Sharma, a student in Ahmedabad`s prestigious NID, had
stabbed 68-year-old Rathore thrice in the face with a pocket
knife on Monday while posing as a journalist. The incident
occurred when former the IPS officer was coming out of the
court after a hearing.
Sharma, who was arrested immediately, was on Tuesday
remanded in a day`s police custody.
His father Prof Sushil Kumar Sharma and his mother Prof
Indra Sharma, who had arrived here from Varanasi on Tuesday,
were present in the court.
Sharma`s counsel submitted before the judge that the boy
belonged to a well to do family with his parents being
professors and that he had no criminal background.
Speaking to media outside the court, his mother said
"punishment should be given to those who do some wrong and not
"My son is innocent," she claimed, adding that "the
people holding administrative posts need to be sensitised
towards common people."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices?
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part II
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part III
- Clash between two football players leaves one dead
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer?
- If you survive in Mumbai cricket, you get rewarded: Shardul Thakur on maiden Test call-up
- Shah Rukh Khan remembers his school days, wonders how time has changed! Details inside
- Rio Olympics: Sachin Tendulkar meets wrestlers ahead of quadrennial event, boosts morale
- IPL 2016: Shane Watson reprimanded for using offensive language during match against Delhi Daredevils
- Photo alert! Aamir Khan dines with 'X-Men' star Ian McKellen