Ruchika case: Rathore`s bail plea hearing adjourned
Chandigarh: The Punjab and Haryana High Court Monday adjourned till April 5 the hearing in the anticipatory bail plea of former Haryana police chief SPS Rathore in fresh cases filed against him by the CBI. He has been convicted of molesting teenager Ruchika Girhotra.
The interim bail extended to Rathore by the High Court in the two fresh cases will continue till April 5.
The court adjourned the hearing of the anticipatory bail plea after the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) counsel sought more time from the court, saying that the investigation was still in progress.
The High Court had on January 25 granted interim bail to Rathore in two fresh first information reports (FIRs) filed against him by the CBI in the molestation case.
Rathore was also given relief in the third case registered against him for allegedly abetting Ruchika`s suicide, as the court directed the CBI to give him a four-day notice before arresting him.
The CBI, which took up the case from the Haryana police earlier January, had sought three weeks from the court to complete its investigations, allowing Rathore to get interim bail.
Rathore had filed an anticipatory bail plea in all three fresh FIRs filed against him, first by the Haryana police and later by the CBI, and had sought quashing of these FIRs. His anticipatory bail plea had been rejected on January 8 by the District and Sessions Court in Panchkula, adjoining Chandigarh.
Rathore was booked in the first two FIRs under non-bailable charges like attempt to murder, criminal intimidation, forging evidence, wrongful confinement, fabricating false evidence and criminal conspiracy.
The FIRs were registered following fresh complaints from Ruchika`s father SC Girhotra and brother Ashu last month.
A CBI special court here on December 21 held Rathore guilty of molesting 14-year-old Ruchika in Panchkula town on August 12, 1990 and sentenced him to a six-month prison term. Rathore was immediately granted bail.
Ruchika, a budding tennis player, had committed suicide three years after the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Counting underway - Big prestige battle for BJP and Shiv Sena
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Election Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena ahead in Mumbai, BJP gains lead in Pune; NCP wins 4 seats in Ulhasnagar