Ruchika was never expelled: School
Chandigarh: Ruchika Girhotra had never been expelled but removed from the rolls for non-payment of fees, the Sacred Heart school said on Friday following reports that it rusticated the girl in 1990 following her molestation by former Haryana police chief SPS Rathore.
"Ruchika was never victimised and expelled from the school. She did not pay her fees continuously for six months, for a period of April to September 1990, therefore her name was not carried on school register in the next month," said Father Thomas Anchanickal, vicar-general, Chandigarh-Shimla diocese spokesperson.
"There might be a possibility that her parents had themselves withdrawn Ruchika from the school," he added.
A special Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) court in Chandigarh had on December 21 held former Haryana director general of police (DGP) Rathore guilty of molesting 15-year-old Ruchika in Panchkula town on August 12, 1990 and sentenced him to a six-month prison term. Rathore was immediately granted bail.
The budding tennis player had committed suicide three years after the incident.
"We are extending full cooperation to the administration in their probe. We would make available all documents sought by them, subject to availability as these documents are nearly two decades old," stated Anchanickal.
Ruchika was apparently expelled from the senior secondary girls school for unexplained reasons just a month after the molestation.
Chandigarh Home Secretary Ram Niwas, who is also the education secretary, four days ago ordered a magisterial inquiry into the role of the school management.
Education department officials here are probing the "questionable" role of Sister Sebestina, the principal of this leading girls` school, in the expulsion.
"Our inquiry is still under process and we have recorded the statements of various people who are related to this issue. We are looking into all aspects of this matter. However, we cannot divulge any details right now," said an official on Friday.
Sources in the administration said the principal, who was away on vacation, has been called back for the investigation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27