Rules don`t allow religious signs: France on turban
New Delhi: Amid a demand by Sikh community
to allow students to wear turbans in schools, France on Monday
maintained that its rules prohibit display of religious signs
"In our country we have that rule which prohibits
religious signs in schools. I don`t know how public school
system is coping with that for the moment," visiting French
Cultural Minister Frederic Mitterrand told reporters here.
Asked if his government would be more sensitive
towards the Sikh community, Mitterrand said he respected the
community but does not "have an official answer" on the issue.
The French government has imposed a complete ban on
wearing of turbans and any other religious headgear by
students to schools.
The Minister, who is part of a French delegation
accompanying French President Nicolas Sarkozy, said he was not
aware if the leaders of both the countries discussed the issue
during their talks.
"However, on a personal point of view, I am highly
respectful of the Sikh religion. I don`t forget that many of
them (Sikhs) were by our side during the world war and they
were soldiers of the allies. Of course we have a debt towards
them," the French minister said.
Minister of State for External Affairs Preneet Kaur
said the Prime Minister had taken up the issue at the highest
level earlier and "we are continuing to take it up".
"As far as Sikhs are concerned, it (the turban) is not
purely a religious symbol. It`s an identification... We hope
that at some stage they will say that it is something that is
an identity problem and we would like it solved," she told
Punjab Deputy Chief Minister and SAD president Sukhbir
Singh Badal had on December 4 written a letter to Prime
Minister Manmohan Singh requesting his intervention in
getting the ban on wearing turbans by Sikhs in French schools
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India