Ruling on immunity in 84` riots case of Kamal Nath soon: SFJ
New York: A federal judge here is expected to
announce his ruling "within the next 60 days" on whether
Minister for Urban Development Kamal Nath enjoys diplomatic
immunity in the 1984 anti-Sikh riots case filed against him
The court that is hearing the case had reserved the ruling
on the matter yesterday, according to Gurpatwant Pannun, Legal
Advisor for advocacy group Sikhs For Justice (SFJ), which has
filed the case against Nath.
Judge Robert Sweet of the US Federal Court for the
Southern District of New York heard arguments in the case
against the Minister.
After hearing the arguments from both sides in a 45-minute
long hearing, Sweet reserved his ruling.
"He is expected to announce his decision within 60 days",
"We are still very optimistic since we have a strong case
and the law is on our side," Pannun said.
He said the judge heard arguments on personal and subject
matter jurisdiction as well as Nath`s claims of diplomatic
immunity during yesterday hearing.
No new date in the case has been fixed yet.
He said Nath failed to produce during the hearing a
`Statement of Interest` from US Department of State in support
of his claim to diplomatic immunity.
SFJ has requested the court to issue a default judgement
against him for failing to respond within 21 days after
receiving the Summons on April 6, 2010 on his claim to
SFJ has already demanded a "jury trial" from the court
during which plaintiffs wants to submit documentary evidence
proving participation of Nath and other Congress leaders in
the November 1984 anti-Sikh riots.
Pannun said despite being aware of the case and
acknowledging receipt of summons and complaint, Nath has not
"Nath has completely ignored the summons so far and that
is why the plaintiffs are requesting the court to issue a
default judgement against him," he said.
In a motion filed on June 24 this year, Nath has claimed
that he is entitled to immunity from prosecution in the US and
that he was not served with summons or complaints during his
April 2010 visit to New York.
Pannun said the sikh community would hold a protest rally
on September 24 during Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s address
to the UN General Assembly demanding that Nath be sacked from
the cabinet and Congress leaders involved in the riots be
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark