‘Rushdie episode exposed Cong`s communal politics’
New Delhi: Against the backdrop of the
cancellation of video address by controversial writer Salman Rushdie at the Jaipur Literature Festival, BJP today said the
entire episode had exposed the "worst communal vote-bank
politics" of Congress.
The main opposition party also accused the Congress of
trying to impose internet censorship.
"Rushdie episode has exposed Congress for its worst
communal vote-bank politics...the move to?ask four authors to
pack up and leave Jaipur was also an attack on freedom of
speech," BJP spokesperson Prakash Javadekar said at a media
"The attempt to block the video link also must be viewed
from vote-bank politics angle. It also exposed Congress of its
real intentions to impose censorship on internet
communication," he added.
Javadekar alleged that the Congress has "stooped very
low for communal vote-bank politics" ahead of Assembly polls
in Uttar Pradesh as it wants to wriggle out of the controversy
over the killing of members of the minority community in
police firing in Rajasthan recently.
"The way some demonstrators were allowed to reach the
festival pandal shows that the episode was pre-planned as the
state government had claimed that there was ample security for
the ongoing festival," he alleged.
The BJP leader said his party condemns "this crass
communal vote-bank politics" of Congress and?wondered why the
so called brigade of champions of freedom of expression is
silent on this issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- UEFA Champions League 2016-17 draw; Player of the Year award ceremony — As it happened...
- Kannada actress Ramya attacked with eggs in Mangaluru over 'pro-Pak remarks'
- AFC Ajax keeper Jasper Cillessen joins Barcelona
- Nashik farmer gets 5 paise per kg for onions!
- China faces 1-year ban from weightlifting over doping