Russia supports India`s bid for UNSC seat
New York: Russia, a veto-wielding permanent member of the UN Security Council, has reiterated its support to India for its bid for permanent seat in the world body.
During a meeting of the BRICS foreign ministers here on the sidelines of the 67th session of the General Assembly, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov "categorically stated that he supported India`s permanent membership of the Security Council," Indian Foreign Secretary Ranjan Mathai said.
Mathai was briefing reporters yesterday after attending the BRICS meeting.
Russia had voiced support for India`s bid for permanent membership of the 15-nation body when Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had visited Moscow last December.
Mathi said during a meeting of the G4 countries, Brazil, Germany, India and Japan took stock of the progress made so far on the issue of Security Council reform and the nations "decided to unanimously inject greater political momentum and work together to give an impetus to the reform process."
Participating in the current session of the General Assembly, India would work on consolidating the progress achieved so far in the process of UNSC reform with a view towards its early realisation.
"India hopes to proactively engage with members in the intergovernmental negotiations on Security Council reform and to strive for an early expansion of the Council in both permanent and non-permanent categories of its membership," Mathai said.
Another key area of focus for India at the UN would be piracy, particularly combating the menace off the coast of Somalia.
Mathai said India attaches "high priority" to combating piracy off the coast of Somalia while continuing with its anti-piracy operations in the gulf of Aden.
"We will urge the international community to address the serious problem of seafarers being taken hostage by pirates and the consequent humanitarian problems being faced by them and their families. We are the largest victims of hostage taking by pirates," he said.
As chair of the contact group on piracy off the coast of Somalia, India would highlight its concerns as well as seek to achieve progress at the UN in the global fight against piracy.
During his presidency of the Security Council in November, India would hold a thematic debate on piracy as well as a meeting on the working methods of the Security Council, Mathai said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'