Russia will complete MiG-29 upgradation by 2013
Moscow: Russia will complete the upgradation of Indian Air Force`s 60 MiG-29 fighters by 2013 which will extend their service life by another 15 years.
"The implementation of the contract signed between India and Russia started last year, and it will be fulfilled in 2013," a defence source was quoted as saying by RIA Novosti.
Under the contract signed last year, Russia`s RAC MiG aircraft corporation will upgrade over 60 MiG-29 fighters, in service with the IAF since the 1980s and service life of the aircraft will be extended from 25 to 40 years.
The contract also stipulates the construction of MiG consignment depots and service centres in India to resolve the problem of timely supply of spares and after sale services, as well as flight simulators for pilot training.
The upgrade MiG-29s will be fitted with advanced avionics, new multi-functional Zhuk-ME radars, a new weapon control system, as well as modernised RD-33 engines.
According to defence official quoted by the agency, first four Indian MiG-29 fighters are being modernised and flight-tested in Russia and the remaining aircraft will be overhauled in India with the Russian technical assistance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical