Russia won`t arm India’s enemies: Deputy PM Rogozin
New Delhi: Russia on Sunday firmly assured India that it will not arm its "enemies" with visiting Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin also indicating Moscow`s willingness to expand cooperation in defence production by building a new transport aircraft and battle tanks.
"You must understand that we do not deal with your enemies. We don`t deliver any arms to them.... If you see otherwise, you may spit on my face," Rogozin told reporters here when asked if Russia would supply arms to Pakistan.
He said Russia has no restrictions in delivering arms and weapons to India "because there are no conflicts and contradictions in our relations".
"We never created problems for India on its frontiers in difference from other countries. That is a political advantage (for Russia) as a friend of India," the Russian leader said.
Rogozin, who will co-chair the Inter-Governmental Commission meeting on Trade, Economic, Scientific, Technological and Cultural Cooperation (IRIGC-TEC) with External Affairs Minister SM Krishna here on Monday, said that Russia was ready to cooperate with India in producing a transport plane with a payload of six tonnes as well as developing battle tanks.
Noting the success in producing the BrahMos supersonic cruise missiles jointly, he said that Russia was keen to cooperate with India and make it a top defence producer.
At the same time, he acknowledged that there were problems in handing over the aircraft carrier Admiral Gorshkov to India due to technical reasons. He said new technology always encounters some complaints and asserted that India will be proud to have such a ship for its Navy.
The ship encountered malfunction in the main power plant and the boiler. Rogozin said Indian partners and crew were onboard the ship and the two sides were trying to rectify the problems.
"We know that time-table is very important. Quality is prime point. Problems have been found on equipment supplied by third countries.”
"But sometimes, problems may occur. Specifications were agreed by Indian and Russian parties. Flight tests from the carrier have been successful. The ship may be a good carrier for India," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory