Russia won`t arm India’s enemies: Deputy PM Rogozin
New Delhi: Russia on Sunday firmly assured India that it will not arm its "enemies" with visiting Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin also indicating Moscow`s willingness to expand cooperation in defence production by building a new transport aircraft and battle tanks.
"You must understand that we do not deal with your enemies. We don`t deliver any arms to them.... If you see otherwise, you may spit on my face," Rogozin told reporters here when asked if Russia would supply arms to Pakistan.
He said Russia has no restrictions in delivering arms and weapons to India "because there are no conflicts and contradictions in our relations".
"We never created problems for India on its frontiers in difference from other countries. That is a political advantage (for Russia) as a friend of India," the Russian leader said.
Rogozin, who will co-chair the Inter-Governmental Commission meeting on Trade, Economic, Scientific, Technological and Cultural Cooperation (IRIGC-TEC) with External Affairs Minister SM Krishna here on Monday, said that Russia was ready to cooperate with India in producing a transport plane with a payload of six tonnes as well as developing battle tanks.
Noting the success in producing the BrahMos supersonic cruise missiles jointly, he said that Russia was keen to cooperate with India and make it a top defence producer.
At the same time, he acknowledged that there were problems in handing over the aircraft carrier Admiral Gorshkov to India due to technical reasons. He said new technology always encounters some complaints and asserted that India will be proud to have such a ship for its Navy.
The ship encountered malfunction in the main power plant and the boiler. Rogozin said Indian partners and crew were onboard the ship and the two sides were trying to rectify the problems.
"We know that time-table is very important. Quality is prime point. Problems have been found on equipment supplied by third countries.”
"But sometimes, problems may occur. Specifications were agreed by Indian and Russian parties. Flight tests from the carrier have been successful. The ship may be a good carrier for India," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town