Russian-built guided missile warship inducted into Navy
New Delhi: In a boost to its naval prowess, India on Saturday inducted a Russian-built guided missile warship into the Navy at a shipyard in Kaliningrad there.
"INS Trikand, the last of the three `Follow On Talwar Class` frigates built in the Russia, was commissioned into the Indian Navy at a glittering ceremony marked by traditional military fervour," a Navy release said here.
The induction also marks the culmination of the three- ship contract between the two sides. Trikand`s sister ships INS Teg and INS Tarkash were commissioned last year and are now undertaking operations as part of Indian Navy`s western fleet in Mumbai.
INS Trikand carries a state-of-the-art combat suite which includes the supersonic BrahMos missile system, advanced surface to air missiles `Shtil`, upgraded A190 medium range gun, electro-optical 30 mm Close-in Weapon System (CIWS), anti-submarine weapons such as torpedoes and rockets.
"The ship also incorporates innovative features to reduce
radar, magnetic and acoustic signatures, which have earned this class of ships the sobriquet of stealth frigates," the Navy said.
The ship can carry an integrated Kamov 31 helicopter which is best suited for airborne early warning roles.
INS Trikand is commanded by Captain Ajay Kochhar. The ship has a complement of about 300 personnel including officers.
The ship will soon undertake her maiden passage to India to join her sister ships of Western Fleet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- Union Cabinet clears Surrogacy (Regulation) Bill, 2016 – Know the new rules
- 6.8 magnitude earthquake hits Myanmar; tremors felt in northeast, Kolkata, Patna, Guwahati
- Did OP Jaisha lie about official apathy in Rio? Here is her co-runner's version
- Can bear body odour, not bad breath: Ranveer Singh
- Tamil actor Vijay's father undergoes surgery after fall