Russian chopper Mi-17V5 formally inducted into IAF
New Delhi: India on Friday formally inducted its
latest Mi-17 V5 armed helicopters from Russia to enhance its
operational capabilities including carrying troops and cargo
to high altitude areas.
Marking the formal commissioning of the choppers in the
Indian Air Force (IAF), Defence Minister A K Antony
symbolically handed over its keys to the Commanding Officer of
one of the units operating the machines.
"The new Mi-17 helicopters will help in adding muscle to
IAF`s capabilities to carry out operations assigned to it",
the Defence Minister said while addressing the gathering of
senior IAF officials.
India has placed orders for 80 such choppers from Russia
and the first batch was inducted in the last week of September
The first three units of the helicopters will be raised
at Bhatinda (Punjab), Srinagar (J-K) and Bagdogra (West
Over 20 such flying machines have already arrived and are
deployed at various locations in the northern sector, Air
Force officials said.
The MI-17 V5 falls in armed helicopter category, with
substantial and effective firepower. It has the latest and
more powerful engines that will enhance its payload carrying
capability at higher altitudes.
"The Mi-17 V5 is an upgrade of Mi-17 choppers in the
medium-lift category and is equipped with state-of-the-art
avionics and on board navigation nystems," IAF officials said.
On the machine`s capabilities, they said, "It has on-
board weather radar, state-of-the-art autopilot and is
compatible with the latest generation night vision goggles."
The Mi-17 variants have operated in various types of
terrain, including Siachen Glacier, and have also proven
their mettle in UN missions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly