Russian delivery delays: India admits setbacks, but is hopeful
Dabolim: Admitting "setbacks" in its relations with Russia over delays in defence supplies, India on Friday said the two sides have signed an agreement which will help in improving the product support from that country.
"There may be delays and setbacks sometimes but we have a long relationship with Russia... There have been delays in delivery and product support in the past.
"But after the signing of the Inter-Governmental Agreement (IGA) with Russia, issues have been sorted out. Things are moving faster now," Antony told reporters after the
induction of Russian-made MiG-29K maritime fighters into the Navy at a ceremony here.
He was asked if India needed to review its defence relations with Russia in view of the delays in delivery of aircraft carrier Admiral Gorshkov and various other defence
India had placed orders for Admiral Gorshkov in 2004 as part of a USD 1.5 billion deal and it was supposed to arrive in India in 2008 after refurbishment in Russian shipyards but the delivery has been delayed after constant review of its price by Russia.
Russia is now asking India to give USD 2.9 billion more for the trials and refurbishment of the 44,500 tonne warship, which India is not willing to pay.
The Defence Minister said the negotiations on the price issue are in "final stages".
He said India was expanding its relations with other countries, including the US, but "that doesn`t affect our relations with Russia and it will be strengthened further."
In reply to a query on India`s plans to procure more MiG-29Ks, the Minister said, "We have already placed orders for 16 of these aircraft. In the second batch, we will place
orders for 29 more as the Navy has shown interest in it."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users