Russian delivery delays: India admits setbacks, but is hopeful
Dabolim: Admitting "setbacks" in its relations with Russia over delays in defence supplies, India on Friday said the two sides have signed an agreement which will help in improving the product support from that country.
"There may be delays and setbacks sometimes but we have a long relationship with Russia... There have been delays in delivery and product support in the past.
"But after the signing of the Inter-Governmental Agreement (IGA) with Russia, issues have been sorted out. Things are moving faster now," Antony told reporters after the
induction of Russian-made MiG-29K maritime fighters into the Navy at a ceremony here.
He was asked if India needed to review its defence relations with Russia in view of the delays in delivery of aircraft carrier Admiral Gorshkov and various other defence
India had placed orders for Admiral Gorshkov in 2004 as part of a USD 1.5 billion deal and it was supposed to arrive in India in 2008 after refurbishment in Russian shipyards but the delivery has been delayed after constant review of its price by Russia.
Russia is now asking India to give USD 2.9 billion more for the trials and refurbishment of the 44,500 tonne warship, which India is not willing to pay.
The Defence Minister said the negotiations on the price issue are in "final stages".
He said India was expanding its relations with other countries, including the US, but "that doesn`t affect our relations with Russia and it will be strengthened further."
In reply to a query on India`s plans to procure more MiG-29Ks, the Minister said, "We have already placed orders for 16 of these aircraft. In the second batch, we will place
orders for 29 more as the Navy has shown interest in it."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack