`Ruthless` action against armed forces personnel in crimes against women: Antony
Bangalore: Against the backdrop of opposition to keep armed forces personnel under AFSPA Act out of ambit of the ordinance for protection of women, Defence Minister A K Antony today said the government will take "ruthless" actions against such people, including armed forces personnel.
"Our government is serious and concerned about the security of women. We will take strongest action against people who create problems for women. The ordinance is coming to Parliament. After it, we will be able to take strong against such people ruthlessly. That applies to armed forces also," he said at a press conference here.
The Minister was asked to comment on the opposition by women activists over armed forces personnel covered by AFSPA to be kept out of the ordinance`s purview.
He said the armed forces have been issued directives that there would be "zero tolerance" policy by the Defence Ministry towards crimes against women.
I assure you that we have given directives to armed forces that regarding crime against women, our policy would be of zero tolerance. We will take strong, speedy and convincing actions", Antony said.
The ordinance has been brought by the government against the backdrop of the December 16 gangrape incident in the national capital.
On the controversial Armed Forces Special Powers Act, he sought to link the importance of the Act with the regional and global security situation and said no hasty decision could be taken on that.
"Earlier, your colleagues had asked about the situation in neighborhood. Considering that, we have to be very serious. We cannot take a hasty decision on that", the Defence Minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan
- Heart failure among the aged may triple by 2060
- Shahid Kapoor holding his newly born daughter is the cutest thing you will see today! – Pic inside