S Bal Shekar to act as Lok Sabha secretary general: Speaker
New Delhi: S Bal Shekar, the secretary in the Lok Sabha secretariat, has been asked to perform the duties of the Lok Sabha secretary general after TK Vishwanathan relinquished his office on August 31.
Making the announcement in the Lok Sabha today, Speaker Meira Kumar said Vishwanathan has relinquished his office on August 31. He had served in the post since October 1, 2010.
"In recognition of his services to Lok Sabha, I have great pleasure in announcing that Sri Vishwanathan has been appointed as honorary officer of the House," Kumar said.
Shekar, secretary in the Lok Sabha secretariat, will be performing the duties of secretary general for the time being, Kumar said.
She praised Vishwanathan, saying he had a thorough knowledge of parliamentary practices, procedures and constitutional matters which greatly helped the presiding officers and the panel of chairmen in conducting the proceedings of the House in a smooth and orderly manner.
"He helped in successfully organising various international parliamentary conferences, seminars and workshops by the Indian Parliament and had also been of great help to Indian parliamentary delegations attending international parliamentary conferences and on goodwill visits to foreign Parliaments," the speaker said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Actress Leslie Jones' website hacked, nude photos posted
- Afghan forces hunt gunmen after American University attack
- Islamic State attacks Western-backed camp on Jordan-Syria border
- Italy quake kills 159 as rescuers race to find survivors
- Syria launched chemical attacks, IS used mustard gas: UN report