S Bal Shekar to act as Lok Sabha Secretary General: Speaker
New Delhi: S Bal Shekar, Secretary in the Lok Sabha secretariat, has been asked to perform the duties of the Lok Sabha Secretary General after TK Vishwanathan relinquished his office on August 31.
Making the announcement in the Lok Sabha on Monday, Speaker Meira Kumar said Vishwanathan has relinquished his office on August 31. He had served in the post since October 1, 2010.
"In recognition of his services to Lok Sabha, I have great pleasure in announcing that Sri Vishwanathan has been appointed as honorary officer of the House," Kumar said.
Shekar, secretary in the Lok Sabha secretariat, will be performing the duties of secretary general for the time being, Kumar said.
She praised Vishwanathan, saying he had a thorough knowledge of parliamentary practices, procedures and constitutional matters which greatly helped the presiding officers and the panel of chairmen in conducting the proceedings of the House in a smooth and orderly manner.
"He helped in successfully organising various international parliamentary conferences, seminars and workshops by the Indian Parliament and had also been of great help to Indian parliamentary delegations attending international parliamentary conferences and on goodwill visits to foreign parliaments," the Speaker said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MEA rules out India-Pakistan bilateral talks during SAARC meet in Islamabad
- Here comes a solar cell that functions like a plant
- BJP MP Anurag Thakur is Lt Anurag Thakur now, joins Territorial Army – Watch his pics here
- What an achievement! Anurag Thakur becomes first BJP MP to be commissioned into Territorial Army
- Rahul Gandhi kicks off Congress' poll campaign in Lucknow; vows to make UP no. 1 state, praises Sheila Dikshit