S Korea gives priority to talented foreigners in awarding
Seoul: Nobel Prize laureates as well as
accomplished scholars, entertainers and entrepreneurs will be
given priority when they seek to become naturalized citizens
here or to hold multiple citizenships, which is allowed under
a revised immigration law embracing talented foreigners, the
Ministry of Justice said on day.
The latest measure comes as the government in January
implemented the new immigration law to cut red tape in
nationality review procedures and allow qualified foreigners
to hold multiple citizenships.
The new guidelines qualify chiefs of government agencies,
legal institutions and universities as well as leaders in
fields of business, sports and science to recommend foreigners
who show excellent performances in such areas as research,
culture and entertainment, sports, management and technology
to receive Korean citizenship.
Under the guidelines, world-known figures and winners of
prestigious awards, such as the Nobel Prize, Pulitzer Prize
and Olympic gold medals, have top priority for citizenship
regardless of prerequisites needed, the ministry said.
Scholars who have worked at four-year universities or
state institutes and senior executives in the world`s
competitive companies also fit in the category.
Athletes and leaders, leading cultural figures as well as
patent holders are welcomed to become citizens, the ministry
"The nationality review committee will refer to these
guidelines when making a decision about who fits as a talented
foreigner in the future," Cha Kyu-geun, the ministry`s
immigration policy director, said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued