SAARC nations to follow India`s poll management
New Delhi: India`s tech-savvy election management system has caught the fancy of SAARC nations, which have expressed the desire to emulate it in their respective areas.
As heads of poll management bodies of SAARC countries got together to evolve solutions to common problems at the ongoing 3rd conference of heads of election management bodies of SAARC nations here, India showcased its use of modern technology for strengthening democracy and election management.
India made a presentation on use of technology in election management which generated encouraging response from Election Commissions of SAARC countries.
"Yes, we would like to follow the best practices followed by India. We are inspired by India`s controls on use of money power and help us increase voter turnouts, as our voter turnout is very low...," Justice (Retd) Muhammad Roshan Essani, member of Election Commission of Pakistan said on Tuesday.
"For the 83 million voters in Pakistan, the Election Commission of Pakistan has created a computerised data base of voters and we are trying to make use of IT and EVMs in our election system...For tackling money power and political finance, that legislation is under consideration. We are working on that. A committee has been formed. It is still in working process," he said.
Pakistan EC`s spokesman Muhammad Afzal Khan said, "With Pakistan, India and Bangladesh having similar cultures, all should help each other... We must learn from each other."
Chief Election Commissioner of Bhutan (Dasho) Kunzang Wangdi also said they are trying to emulate many good election practices from India, as theirs was a new democracy - formed only in 2008 after years of monarchy.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan