SAARC: Navy deploys warships near Maldives
New Delhi: Indian Navy has deployed its warships around Maldives to provide security to the ongoing SAARC summit in the island nation.
"We have deployed our warships around Maldives to provide security to the SAARC summit," Navy officials said here.
However, they refused to divulge details about the number and type of warships deployed around the island nation, adding the Indian Navy was not `in-charge` of security arrangements there.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh along with the leaders of seven other member countries including Bangladesh, Pakistan, Nepal, Bhutan, Sri Lanka and Afghanistan is taking part in the summit.
During the SAARC Summit in Colombo in 2008, the Navy had deployed three warships along with helicopters to provide security to the meeting.
The Indian Navy has also been providing security to the Maldives in its anti-piracy operations.
India recently deployed a Dornier maritime surveillance aircraft in Male and has been sending a warship or a naval plane to perform security roles for Maldives in the last two
years, with Somali pirates becoming active close to island nation.
It has also gifted a fast attack craft to the Maldivian maritime forces.
An Indian Navy ship also carries out hydrography surveys in Maldivian waters to aid navigation. Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL) has also set up a chain of coastal radars for
the island nation, apart from training its personnel in operating the equipment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened