SAARC: Navy deploys warships near Maldives
New Delhi: Indian Navy has deployed its warships around Maldives to provide security to the ongoing SAARC summit in the island nation.
"We have deployed our warships around Maldives to provide security to the SAARC summit," Navy officials said here.
However, they refused to divulge details about the number and type of warships deployed around the island nation, adding the Indian Navy was not `in-charge` of security arrangements there.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh along with the leaders of seven other member countries including Bangladesh, Pakistan, Nepal, Bhutan, Sri Lanka and Afghanistan is taking part in the summit.
During the SAARC Summit in Colombo in 2008, the Navy had deployed three warships along with helicopters to provide security to the meeting.
The Indian Navy has also been providing security to the Maldives in its anti-piracy operations.
India recently deployed a Dornier maritime surveillance aircraft in Male and has been sending a warship or a naval plane to perform security roles for Maldives in the last two
years, with Somali pirates becoming active close to island nation.
It has also gifted a fast attack craft to the Maldivian maritime forces.
An Indian Navy ship also carries out hydrography surveys in Maldivian waters to aid navigation. Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL) has also set up a chain of coastal radars for
the island nation, apart from training its personnel in operating the equipment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!