Sabarimala tragedy: Police, TDB file report
Kochi: Kerala DGP Jacob Punnose and
Travancore Devaswom Board (TDB) Thursday filed reports before the
Kerala High Court on the stampede at Pullmedu in Vandiperiyar in Idukki district which claimed the lives of 102 Sabarimala pilgrims.
The report was filed before the division bench comprising
justice Thothathil B Radhakrishnan and justice P S Gopinathan.
Expressing displeasure over neglect of warnings on the
safety of Sabarimala pilgrims, the bench had on Monday pulled
up the state government and directed Police, Forest department
and board officials to file reports by today.
The bench had on Jan 5 asked the authorities to regulate
the flow of pilgrims to avoid disasters like stampede and had
observed that there had been lack of co-ordination among
various departments involved in conduct of the festival at
Sabarimala, which attracts millions of pilgrims during the
two-month long season from mid-November.
`We want to know what had happened. Explain how the mishap
occurred`, the judges had said while issuing the direction.
The stampede had occurred on Jan 14 as devotees were
returning after witnessing the `Makara Jyothi` (celestial
light) at Pullmedu in Vandiperiyar in Idukki district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!