Sabarimala tragedy: Police, TDB file report
Kochi: Kerala DGP Jacob Punnose and
Travancore Devaswom Board (TDB) Thursday filed reports before the
Kerala High Court on the stampede at Pullmedu in Vandiperiyar in Idukki district which claimed the lives of 102 Sabarimala pilgrims.
The report was filed before the division bench comprising
justice Thothathil B Radhakrishnan and justice P S Gopinathan.
Expressing displeasure over neglect of warnings on the
safety of Sabarimala pilgrims, the bench had on Monday pulled
up the state government and directed Police, Forest department
and board officials to file reports by today.
The bench had on Jan 5 asked the authorities to regulate
the flow of pilgrims to avoid disasters like stampede and had
observed that there had been lack of co-ordination among
various departments involved in conduct of the festival at
Sabarimala, which attracts millions of pilgrims during the
two-month long season from mid-November.
`We want to know what had happened. Explain how the mishap
occurred`, the judges had said while issuing the direction.
The stampede had occurred on Jan 14 as devotees were
returning after witnessing the `Makara Jyothi` (celestial
light) at Pullmedu in Vandiperiyar in Idukki district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- 'Second Hand Husband' review: Fails to impress