`Sabotage angle not ruled out in submarine mishap`

Last Updated: Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 19:08

New Delhi: Not ruling out the "sabotage" angle behind explosions on Navy`s destroyed submarine INS Sindhurakshak, Defence Minister A K Antony today said the incident has cast a shadow on the force`s capability to safeguard country`s maritime interests.
Giving clarifications in the Rajya Sabha on the August 14 submarine accident, he said the Navy has also ordered a study to assess the status of weapons on board the sunk submarine in view of fear of any further explosion during salvage operations.

"The Navy has ordered a Board of Inquiry (BoI) and it has started with all seriousness. Its terms of reference is to look into all aspects of causes of this incident will be examined by it. Nothing is ruled out. All likely aspects would be examined by the BoI," Antony said.

Several members including Chandan Mitra (BJP) and Naresh Agrawal (SP) sought to know if sabotage was one of the reasons behind the accident which took place on the eve of Independence Day.

The Defence Minister said at the moment, "We cannot say conclusively about the exact cause of the incident. Our armed forces work on war footing on these aspects and they are also anxious on this issue."
The Minister said of the 18 personnel on board the sunken vessel, bodies of eight had been found till yesterday and they have been sent to the Naval hospital for postmortem. "Death certificates of eight bodies cite extensive burns as the cause of death."

He said five international and Indian companies are involved in surveying the vessel for salvage and after the vessel is dewatered and brought up, the team of Russian experts would be involved in the investigations.

PTI



First Published: Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 19:07

comments powered by Disqus