Sabotage caused Rajdhani derailment?
Patna: After initial investigations, the rail safety officials and forensic experts on Tuesday confirmed that missing tracks actually triggered the derailment of 14 coaches of the New Delhi-Guwahati Rajdhani Express near Nawgachia railway station in Bhagalpur district of Bihar.
The experts found that nearly two-metre-long tracks of the express train were missing after they conducted a thorough search of the railway tracks.
Officials are now trying to establish how and when the tracks were removed and whether it was the handiwork of the Maoists to derail the high profile train.
Although no timeframe has been set up, the railways inquiry team is shortly expected to submit its findings into the case.
The development came hours after 14 coaches of the Delhi-Guwahati Rajdhani Express derailed near Nawgachia railway station in Bihar early this morning.
The incident occurred at around 6:40am between Nawgachia and Kharik Railway Station, about 200 kms from here, after the driver of the Rajdhani Express reportedly heard a loud explosion and applied emergency brakes, leading to the derailment.
However, all passengers were reported to be safe.
When quizzed about the Maoists link to the incident, East Central Railway Chief Public Relations Officer Dilip Kumar said, "It is too early to say anything.”
Due to the incident, the traffic has disrupted on the busy corridor.
A medical team was rushed to the spot, even as there are reports suggesting that some passengers have been injured in the incident.
Also, a team of engineers and rail safety experts were also rushed to the spot to asses the damage and carry out repair works. However, heavy rainfall in the region is hampering repair work.
Special arrangements were made by the Railway authorities to shift the
passengers of Rajdhani Express from Naugachia railway station for onward journey.
Meanwhile, Railways have set up helpline numbers in Delhi for the convenience of the passengers and their families. The New Delhi railway helpline numbers are 011-23341074, 011-23341072 and Old Delhi - 011-23967332, 011-23962389, Nawgachia 06421-211345.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM