Sachin Pilot to represent India at Chavez`s funeral
New Delhi: Corporate Affairs Minister Sachin Pilot will represent India at the state funeral of Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez in Caracas Friday.
Chavez, who died at the age of 58 on Tuesday after a two-year struggle with cancer, was in power for about 14 years. He was elected for his third six-year term in October last year.
Earlier, Prime Minister, Dr. Manmohan Singh condoled the passing away of Chavez, saying the charismatic and immensely popular leader leaves behind an enduring legacy of striving for social justice.
"I am deeply saddened to learn of the untimely demise of His Excellency President Hugo Rafael Chavez Frias. The people of India join me in conveying our heartfelt condolence to his family and to the Government and people of Venezuela. India stands in solidarity with Venezuela in its hour of grief," he said in his condolence message.
Dr. Singh said Venezuela has lost a charismatic and immensely popular leader in President Chavez, who leaves behind an enduring legacy of striving for social justice.
"President Chavez also made a tremendous contribution to the development of closer relations among the countries of the developing world. We are grateful for his personal efforts in strengthening relations between India and Venezuela and will continue to work towards even closer relations with the friendly people of Venezuela," he added.
Chavez was admitted to the hospital last month to continue chemotherapy after two months in Cuba, where he had undergone his fourth round of cancer surgery since June 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes