Sachin Pilot to represent India at Hugo Chavez`s funeral
New Delhi: Corporate Affairs Minister Sachin Pilot will represent India at the state funeral of Hugo Chavez, former president of Venezuela, in Caracas on Friday.
Pilot has already left for Venezuela and would be accompanied by officials of the External Affairs Ministry at the funeral, officials said here.
Chavez, who died at the age of 58 on Tuesday after a two-year struggle with cancer, was in power for about 14 years. He was elected for his third six-year term in October last year.
Condoling his death, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had said yesterday that Chavez was a "charismatic leader who leaves behind a legacy of striving for social justice".
Singh had said President Chavez had made a tremendous contribution to the development of closer relations among the countries of the developing world.
"We are grateful for his personal efforts in strengthening relations between India and Venezuela and will continue to work towards even closer relations with the friendly people of Venezuela," the Prime Minister had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA