Sachin Pilot to represent India at Hugo Chavez`s funeral
New Delhi: Corporate Affairs Minister Sachin Pilot will represent India at the state funeral of Hugo Chavez, former president of Venezuela, in Caracas on Friday.
Pilot has already left for Venezuela and would be accompanied by officials of the External Affairs Ministry at the funeral, officials said here.
Chavez, who died at the age of 58 on Tuesday after a two-year struggle with cancer, was in power for about 14 years. He was elected for his third six-year term in October last year.
Condoling his death, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had said yesterday that Chavez was a "charismatic leader who leaves behind a legacy of striving for social justice".
Singh had said President Chavez had made a tremendous contribution to the development of closer relations among the countries of the developing world.
"We are grateful for his personal efforts in strengthening relations between India and Venezuela and will continue to work towards even closer relations with the friendly people of Venezuela," the Prime Minister had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'