Sachin Pilot to represent India at Hugo Chavez`s funeral
New Delhi: Corporate Affairs Minister Sachin Pilot will represent India at the state funeral of Hugo Chavez, former president of Venezuela, in Caracas on Friday.
Pilot has already left for Venezuela and would be accompanied by officials of the External Affairs Ministry at the funeral, officials said here.
Chavez, who died at the age of 58 on Tuesday after a two-year struggle with cancer, was in power for about 14 years. He was elected for his third six-year term in October last year.
Condoling his death, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had said yesterday that Chavez was a "charismatic leader who leaves behind a legacy of striving for social justice".
Singh had said President Chavez had made a tremendous contribution to the development of closer relations among the countries of the developing world.
"We are grateful for his personal efforts in strengthening relations between India and Venezuela and will continue to work towards even closer relations with the friendly people of Venezuela," the Prime Minister had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore