Sachin Tendulkar played cricket for money, why give him Bharat Ratna: JD(U)
Zee Media Bureau/Hemant Abhishek
New Delhi: Janata Dal United on Monday raised questions on conferral of Bharat Ratna to cricketer Sachin Tendulkar saying the award has ‘become a joke.’
Questioning the manner in which the Bharat Ratna was awarded to Sachin, JD(U) leader Shivanand Tiwari said, “Bharat Ratna has lost its significance now, it has become a joke. It should be abolished altogether.”
Questioning whether Tendulkar deserved the award before hockey legend Dhyan Chand, Tiwari said, “Tendulkar has not played cricket for free. He earned thousands of crores. Why was Dhyan Chand not considered for Bharat Ranta?”
Dhyan Chand was suggested for the Bharat Ratna ahead of Tendulkar in 2011, when 82 Members of Parliament jointly recommended the Olympic gold winner’s name. And in January 2012, the Sports Ministry forwarded Dhyan Chand’s name along with Olympic gold medallist shooter Abhinav Bindra and mountaineer Tenzing Norgay for the award.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands