Sachin Tendulkar played cricket for money, why give him Bharat Ratna: JD(U)
Zee Media Bureau/Hemant Abhishek
New Delhi: Janata Dal United on Monday raised questions on conferral of Bharat Ratna to cricketer Sachin Tendulkar saying the award has ‘become a joke.’
Questioning the manner in which the Bharat Ratna was awarded to Sachin, JD(U) leader Shivanand Tiwari said, “Bharat Ratna has lost its significance now, it has become a joke. It should be abolished altogether.”
Questioning whether Tendulkar deserved the award before hockey legend Dhyan Chand, Tiwari said, “Tendulkar has not played cricket for free. He earned thousands of crores. Why was Dhyan Chand not considered for Bharat Ranta?”
Dhyan Chand was suggested for the Bharat Ratna ahead of Tendulkar in 2011, when 82 Members of Parliament jointly recommended the Olympic gold winner’s name. And in January 2012, the Sports Ministry forwarded Dhyan Chand’s name along with Olympic gold medallist shooter Abhinav Bindra and mountaineer Tenzing Norgay for the award.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Sheena murder case: Rahul Mukerjea being questioned at undisclosed location
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie