Sachin Tendulkar played cricket for money, why give him Bharat Ratna: JD(U)
Zee Media Bureau/Hemant Abhishek
New Delhi: Janata Dal United on Monday raised questions on conferral of Bharat Ratna to cricketer Sachin Tendulkar saying the award has ‘become a joke.’
Questioning the manner in which the Bharat Ratna was awarded to Sachin, JD(U) leader Shivanand Tiwari said, “Bharat Ratna has lost its significance now, it has become a joke. It should be abolished altogether.”
Questioning whether Tendulkar deserved the award before hockey legend Dhyan Chand, Tiwari said, “Tendulkar has not played cricket for free. He earned thousands of crores. Why was Dhyan Chand not considered for Bharat Ranta?”
Dhyan Chand was suggested for the Bharat Ratna ahead of Tendulkar in 2011, when 82 Members of Parliament jointly recommended the Olympic gold winner’s name. And in January 2012, the Sports Ministry forwarded Dhyan Chand’s name along with Olympic gold medallist shooter Abhinav Bindra and mountaineer Tenzing Norgay for the award.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- PM Modi praises Ekal Vidyalaya Foundation, deems mission successful
- Does religion teach gender discrimination?
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- See pic: Call for further study after discovery of baboon-like creature on Mars!
- Watch: This guy convinces girls to get pictures clicked with him – know how