Sachin`s RS nomination perfectly valid: PC
New Delhi: Cricketer Sachin Tendulkar`s nomination to Rajya Sabha is perfectly valid under the provisions of the Constitution, Home Minister P Chidambaram said Monday.
"That is not our reading of the Constitution provision. I think the Constitution provision is very clear and I urge all of you to read it once again," he told a press conference.
He was asked about questions being raised on the nomination of the cricketer under Article 80 of the Constitution.
"Hence, Sachin Tendulkar`s nomination is perfectly valid under that provision," the minister said.
Former Lok Sabha Secretary General Subhash Kashyap has raked up the issue saying sports is not mentioned in the Constitution as a category under which a person can be nominated as Rajya Sabha member.
Under Article 80 of the Constitution the government can nominate to the Rajya Sabha 12 persons having special knowledge or practical experience in respect of such matters as the following, namely: Literature, science, art and social service.
Tendulkar (39) was nominated last week to Rajya Sabha along with actor Rekha and industrialist Anu Aga.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!