Sachin`s RS nomination perfectly valid: PC
New Delhi: Cricketer Sachin Tendulkar`s nomination to Rajya Sabha is perfectly valid under the provisions of the Constitution, Home Minister P Chidambaram said Monday.
"That is not our reading of the Constitution provision. I think the Constitution provision is very clear and I urge all of you to read it once again," he told a press conference.
He was asked about questions being raised on the nomination of the cricketer under Article 80 of the Constitution.
"Hence, Sachin Tendulkar`s nomination is perfectly valid under that provision," the minister said.
Former Lok Sabha Secretary General Subhash Kashyap has raked up the issue saying sports is not mentioned in the Constitution as a category under which a person can be nominated as Rajya Sabha member.
Under Article 80 of the Constitution the government can nominate to the Rajya Sabha 12 persons having special knowledge or practical experience in respect of such matters as the following, namely: Literature, science, art and social service.
Tendulkar (39) was nominated last week to Rajya Sabha along with actor Rekha and industrialist Anu Aga.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?