Sachin`s RS nomination perfectly valid: PC
New Delhi: Cricketer Sachin Tendulkar`s nomination to Rajya Sabha is perfectly valid under the provisions of the Constitution, Home Minister P Chidambaram said Monday.
"That is not our reading of the Constitution provision. I think the Constitution provision is very clear and I urge all of you to read it once again," he told a press conference.
He was asked about questions being raised on the nomination of the cricketer under Article 80 of the Constitution.
"Hence, Sachin Tendulkar`s nomination is perfectly valid under that provision," the minister said.
Former Lok Sabha Secretary General Subhash Kashyap has raked up the issue saying sports is not mentioned in the Constitution as a category under which a person can be nominated as Rajya Sabha member.
Under Article 80 of the Constitution the government can nominate to the Rajya Sabha 12 persons having special knowledge or practical experience in respect of such matters as the following, namely: Literature, science, art and social service.
Tendulkar (39) was nominated last week to Rajya Sabha along with actor Rekha and industrialist Anu Aga.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi