Sachin`s RS nomination perfectly valid: PC
New Delhi: Cricketer Sachin Tendulkar`s nomination to Rajya Sabha is perfectly valid under the provisions of the Constitution, Home Minister P Chidambaram said Monday.
"That is not our reading of the Constitution provision. I think the Constitution provision is very clear and I urge all of you to read it once again," he told a press conference.
He was asked about questions being raised on the nomination of the cricketer under Article 80 of the Constitution.
"Hence, Sachin Tendulkar`s nomination is perfectly valid under that provision," the minister said.
Former Lok Sabha Secretary General Subhash Kashyap has raked up the issue saying sports is not mentioned in the Constitution as a category under which a person can be nominated as Rajya Sabha member.
Under Article 80 of the Constitution the government can nominate to the Rajya Sabha 12 persons having special knowledge or practical experience in respect of such matters as the following, namely: Literature, science, art and social service.
Tendulkar (39) was nominated last week to Rajya Sabha along with actor Rekha and industrialist Anu Aga.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head