Sack Trivedi: Mamata’s 24-hour ultimatum to PM
New Delhi: Trinamool Congress supremo Mamata Banerjee on Sunday gave a virtual ultimatum to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to sack Railway Minister Dinesh Trivedi within 24 hours, sources said.
Firm on the removal of Trivedi, the Trinamool supremo yesterday asserted that it was time for Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to act on her plea to replace Trivedi with Mukul Roy.
"I have already said whatever I have had to say. Now the government has to decide. Mukul Roy will be our candidate for the Railway minister," Mamata had said.
Meanwhile, Trivedi has reacted strongly, saying, “The Railway Ministry is no one’s property.”
Trivedi on Saturday dared Trinamool Congress supremo Mamata Banerjee, asking her to give him the resignation order in writing.
Trivedi’s reaction came when Trinamool Congress chief whip in Lok Sabha Kalyan Banerjee telephoned Trivedi and asked him to make a “gracious exit” and not wait to be sacked.
Trinamool Congress has rejected Trivedi’s demand that party supremo Mamata Banerjee should say so in writing to him.
"Nothing will be given in writing," Trinamool Congress parliamentary party leader in Lok Sabha Sudip Bandyopadhay told reporters.
Trinamool Congress has been gunning for Trivedi’s head ever since he announced hike in passenger fares in the Rail Budget 2012-13 presented on Wednesday.
After Trivedi presented his maiden Rail Budget, party supremo Mamata Banerjee shot off a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh seeking his dismissal and replacement with her trusted aide Mukul Roy.
The West Bengal Chief Minister had spoken to the Prime minister on Thursday and is believed to have been assured on replacement of Trivedi.
The development came after the party put Trivedi on notice that it may replace him if he does not rollback the hike in passenger fares proposed by him in the Rail Budget 2012.
However, Trivedi stuck to his guns saying he has done his duty and he was not afraid of losing his job.
Taking on his own party, the Railway Minister had said, “I am a Minister of Government of India. For me, my country comes first before anything else.”
Dinesh Trivedi episode has created an unprecedented situation in the country`s parliamentary history when a minister is sought to be removed even before the budget presented by him has been discussed in Parliament.
The government was thus faced with a war within which could have serious consequences on its stability.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27