SAD slams Cong over President`s rule in Punjab
Chandigarh: The Congress demand for President`s rule in Punjab drew a strong reaction from ruling Akali Dal, which termed it a "frustration-driven" call by a party which was "fast losing its political base".
SAD general secretary Maheshinder Singh Grewal claimed the Congress was frustrated after foreseeing its "impending defeat" in the panchayat polls.
The Congress demanded imposition of President`s rule in the state after political violence ahead of the panchayat elections that has so far claimed four lives.
"Owing to the pro-people and development oriented policies of the SAD-BJP government, the alliance will register a massive victory in these polls and the Congress will once again be decimated from the state," Grewal said.
Realising this, the Congress leaders are now resorting to political gimmicks by once again raising the "false" bogey of deteriorating law and order, whereas the Union government has itself termed Punjab as one of the most peaceful states in the country, Grewal claimed.
He said Congress leaders should first take into consideration how law and order situation "has gone from bad to worst" in Delhi, which is ruled by their party.
Rather than seeking a President`s rule for Punjab, the Congress leaders should demand the same for Delhi, Grewal said.
People of Punjab would not get swayed away by these "political gimmickries" and would "teach a befitting lesson" to Congress in the coming polls, the SAD leader claimed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video