Safeguard dignity of women, says Pranab
Pune: Mourning the death of the 23-year-old Delhi gang-rape victim, President Pranab Mukherjee Saturday called for the need to create an atmosphere to safeguard the dignity of women in India.
"The government and the society at large must create conducive climate for upholding safety and dignity of women in the country in the New Year," Mukherjee said, speaking at the inauguration of D. Y. Patil Knowledge City here.
"It is unfortunate that in the fag-end of the year 2012, a brave daughter of this country fought till the very last minute with courage and dignity before breathing her last," he said.
The woman who suffered multiple-organ failure after her brutal gang-rape Dec 16 passed away at Singapore`s Mount Elizabeth Hospital early Saturday.
"...We express our deep condolences, anguish and anger against this most heinous offence," the president said.
"This can also provide an opportunity for all of us to resolve that henceforth, the responsibility will be each one of us, including the government and authorities to create a conducive climate where safety security and dignity of our mothers, sisters and daughters are upheld. This should be our commitment for the New Year," Mukherjee said.
Speaking about the newly-launched D.Y. Patil Knowledge City and the need for such centres, Mukherjee called for much-required innovation, that is inevitable to drive the country towards path of growth.
"A more than 100,000 strong army of Ibrahim Lodi lost the first battle of Panipat (1526) to the invading army of mere 10,000 soldiers. This was because the technology of firing guns was not available to our soldiers. So we see that knowledge is power," he said.
However, he said that despite all the economic problems around the world, India is still doing well.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you