Safeguard dignity of women, says Pranab
Pune: Mourning the death of the 23-year-old Delhi gang-rape victim, President Pranab Mukherjee Saturday called for the need to create an atmosphere to safeguard the dignity of women in India.
"The government and the society at large must create conducive climate for upholding safety and dignity of women in the country in the New Year," Mukherjee said, speaking at the inauguration of D. Y. Patil Knowledge City here.
"It is unfortunate that in the fag-end of the year 2012, a brave daughter of this country fought till the very last minute with courage and dignity before breathing her last," he said.
The woman who suffered multiple-organ failure after her brutal gang-rape Dec 16 passed away at Singapore`s Mount Elizabeth Hospital early Saturday.
"...We express our deep condolences, anguish and anger against this most heinous offence," the president said.
"This can also provide an opportunity for all of us to resolve that henceforth, the responsibility will be each one of us, including the government and authorities to create a conducive climate where safety security and dignity of our mothers, sisters and daughters are upheld. This should be our commitment for the New Year," Mukherjee said.
Speaking about the newly-launched D.Y. Patil Knowledge City and the need for such centres, Mukherjee called for much-required innovation, that is inevitable to drive the country towards path of growth.
"A more than 100,000 strong army of Ibrahim Lodi lost the first battle of Panipat (1526) to the invading army of mere 10,000 soldiers. This was because the technology of firing guns was not available to our soldiers. So we see that knowledge is power," he said.
However, he said that despite all the economic problems around the world, India is still doing well.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?