Saffron terror remark due to oneupmanship game in Cong: BJP
New Delhi: Arguing that saffron is a source of inspiration and not one of terror, BJP on Thursday said Home Minister P Chidambaram`s statement on saffron terror was an
outcome of the ongoing game of oneupmanship between senior Congress leaders.
"We urge the Congress that because of inner conflict and gross oneupmanship they must not shame the saffron which represents the civilisation and cultural heritage of India,
the spirit of valour and finest values of our freedom struggle," BJP chief spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad said.
He maintained that Chidambaram should understand that it is the people of India who have "since ages had the patent on saffron".
"Swami Vivekanand exalted the world in Chicago about India wearing saffron. Adi Sankaracharya unified India wearing saffron. Today all saints wear saffron. Saffron only inspires and never terrorise," Prasad said.
"We condemn this oneupmanship in which saffron heritage is becoming a casualty," he added.
Dubbing Chidambaram`s comment as unconstitutional, Gujarat
Chief Minister Narendra Modi stated on his blog that the
intention was to incite senior police officers against a
"This mischief cannot be dismissed as an insignificant
event... home minister has indeed stepped outside the
boundaries of the Constitution when he made such an
irresponsible statement.... the security forces and the police
have been provoked to act in a certain way against a certain
class of people," Modi said.
He said a `Flag Samiti` formed by Congress in 1931 had
recommended that the colour of the Indian flag should be
saffron. The Samiti was headed by Rajendra Prasad and had
Jawaharlal Nehru, Maulana Azad and Bhim Rao Ambedkar as its
"The politics of votebank and appeasement has destroyed
this country. This canard of `saffron terror` has been spread
as part of a devious political votebank and appeasement game.
The country can never tolerate such dirty political games.
Such insult to our great ancient culture can never be
tolerated," Modi said.
The chief minister has said Chidambaram would not have
coined the "imaginary and false term" had he realised that he
was occupying the chair that was once occupied by Sardar
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you