`Saffron terrorism` remark creates uproar in Lok Sabha
New Delhi: Home Minister P Chidambaram`s
reference to rise of "saffron terrorism" created uproar in the
Lok Sabha today with Shiv Sena and BJP members demanding that
he withdraw the statement allegedly projecting Hindus in poor
Shiv Sena members including Chandrakant Khaire, Subhash
Wankhede and Ganesh Dudhgaonkar stormed the well during the
Zero Hour protesting Chidambaram`s statement that a new
phenomenon of "saffron terrorism" involved in many bomb blasts
has been uncovered.
Demanding an apology from the Home Minister, they waved
copies of party mouthpiece `Saamna" and sought withdrawal of
the statement contending `how could a Hindu be a terrorist in
BJP members led by Ananth Kumar were on their feet to
support the Shiv Sena members, who later staged a walkout.
Participating in the special discussion later on the
situation in the Kashmir Valley, BJP leader Murli Manohar
Joshi objected to the Home Minister`s reference to `saffron
Noting that `saffron` is symbol of peace and cannot be
linked to terrorism, Joshi warned that if such language is
used against it, there would be a reaction. "May be you are
wanting that reaction and that is why you have said it."
Proceedings in the Rajya Sabha were also disrupted
briefly when LJP leader Ram Vilas Paswan demanded suspension
of Question Hour to discuss the issue of rise in saffron
terror in the country.
As soon as the House met for the day, Paswan stood up and
wanted to know the fate of his notice for suspension of
Question Hour to discuss the rise in saffron terror as pointed
out by Chidambaram.
The Home Minister`s comments came against the backdrop of
investigators finding links between Hindu extremist outfits
and at least five bomb blasts in recent years - at Hyderabad`s
Mecca Masjid, at Ajmer, Goa, Malegaon in Maharashtra and
Modasa in Gujarat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’