Saharanpur clashes: Main accused Moharram Ali arrested
Zee Media Bureau
Lucknow/Saharanpur: With the situation slowly returning to normal in Saharanpur, the Uttar Pradesh police has arrested the main accused for instigating riots that left three dead and dozens injured.
Moharram Ali allegedly incited a mob to pelt stones and fire at the Sikhs and had opened fire at a paramilitary personal.
Six of his accomplices - Danish, Mohd Irshad, Mohd Abid, Mohd Shahid and Haji Mohammed Irfan – were also arrested for allegedly playing a role in instigating the clashes that had erupted between the Sikha and Muslims in Saharanpur last week.
Moharram Ali alias Pappu has confessed to inciting the mob, reports said.
As per the police, Ali had led the mob that gheraoed the Qutubsher police station when the two sides were talking out the matter related to a land dispute, in the presence of senior police officials.
Later the mob that had gathered outside the police station had gone on a rampage, firing at people, burning shops and vehicles and pelting stones.
Senior Superintendent of Police Rajesh Pandey confirmed the arrest and said raids were being conducted at various places to arrest others guilty of inciting the clashes.
Gangster Act and the National Security Act (NSA) would be slapped on the people behind the violence, a district official said.
Meanwhile, a curfew continues to be in place but has been relaxed in select areas for five hours.
These places include Janakpuri, Sadar bazaar, Kotwali Nagar and Qutub Sher, Inspector General Amrendra Senger said.
A dispute over a piece of land followed by a court order had triggered off violent clashes in the city. Para-military forces were called in to bring back peace and contain violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi