Saharanpur clashes: Main accused Moharram Ali arrested
Zee Media Bureau
Lucknow/Saharanpur: With the situation slowly returning to normal in Saharanpur, the Uttar Pradesh police has arrested the main accused for instigating riots that left three dead and dozens injured.
Moharram Ali allegedly incited a mob to pelt stones and fire at the Sikhs and had opened fire at a paramilitary personal.
Six of his accomplices - Danish, Mohd Irshad, Mohd Abid, Mohd Shahid and Haji Mohammed Irfan – were also arrested for allegedly playing a role in instigating the clashes that had erupted between the Sikha and Muslims in Saharanpur last week.
Moharram Ali alias Pappu has confessed to inciting the mob, reports said.
As per the police, Ali had led the mob that gheraoed the Qutubsher police station when the two sides were talking out the matter related to a land dispute, in the presence of senior police officials.
Later the mob that had gathered outside the police station had gone on a rampage, firing at people, burning shops and vehicles and pelting stones.
Senior Superintendent of Police Rajesh Pandey confirmed the arrest and said raids were being conducted at various places to arrest others guilty of inciting the clashes.
Gangster Act and the National Security Act (NSA) would be slapped on the people behind the violence, a district official said.
Meanwhile, a curfew continues to be in place but has been relaxed in select areas for five hours.
These places include Janakpuri, Sadar bazaar, Kotwali Nagar and Qutub Sher, Inspector General Amrendra Senger said.
A dispute over a piece of land followed by a court order had triggered off violent clashes in the city. Para-military forces were called in to bring back peace and contain violence.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!