Sailor commits suicide, Navy orders probe
Mumbai/ New Delhi: A 23-year-old sailor of the Indian Navy allegedly committed suicide on board a frontline warship on Saturday night even as his family suspected foul play behind the incident.
Melvin Raj, hailing from Tamil Nadu, was found with a gunshot wound on his head on board INS Talwar anchored at dry dock here. He was rushed to INS Ashwini naval hospital but was declared dead on arrival, police said.
Melvin`s family, however, alleged foul play behind the incident and claimed that the victim was being harassed by his seniors since several months.
His family also alleged that the sailor had complained about not being granted leave.
The naval authorities have ordered an enquiry into the incident.
"A Board of Enquiry has been ordered into the family`s allegations. Once we receive the report, further course of action will be decided," Ministry of Defence PRO Narendra Vispute said.
In the recent past, there have been instances in the defence forces where cancellation of leave has been cited as the reason for suicides.
In June last year, soldiers and officers in an Army unit in Samba (Jammu and Kashmir) were engaged in a face-off after the suicide by a jawan there.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Know what Ranveer Singh has to say about Akshay Kumar
- A love story for Akshay Kumar in toilet? Details inside
- Wondering if Ranveer Singh is on board Deepika Padukone’s ‘Padmavati’? Details inside
- Saif Ali Khan finds Kareena Kapoor very sexy in 'Yeh Mera Dil' song
- Donald Trump demands special prosecutor to probe Hillary Clinton allegations