Salary hike bill scandalous: Brinda Karat
New Delhi: Highly critical of Members of Parliament deciding their own remuneration, CPI-M leader Brinda Karat Wednesday said the salary hike bill was "scandalous".
"At no other place in the country, you have beneficiaries deciding on the increase of their own salary," Karat said on the sidelines of a conference here.
The Union Cabinet agreed to further raise the monthly allowances of the MPs by Rs 10,000 after a hefty raise in allowances left some lawmakers dissatisfied.
"It is scandalous and I want to make sure that I vote against the proposed hike," she said.
The cabinet had given its nod to the bill under which the basic salary of the MPs will be hiked from Rs 16,000 to Rs 50,000 per month.
With some lawmakers not happy with the decision, the Lok Sabha witnessed an uproar last week by RJD, SP and JD-U members over the issue.
They were demanding the wages be raised to at least Rs 80,001, a rupee more than the salary of the Cabinet Secretary. Following the uproar, the Cabinet agreed for a further
raise in monthly allowances by Rs 10,000.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!