Salary hike bill scandalous: Brinda Karat
New Delhi: Highly critical of Members of Parliament deciding their own remuneration, CPI-M leader Brinda Karat Wednesday said the salary hike bill was "scandalous".
"At no other place in the country, you have beneficiaries deciding on the increase of their own salary," Karat said on the sidelines of a conference here.
The Union Cabinet agreed to further raise the monthly allowances of the MPs by Rs 10,000 after a hefty raise in allowances left some lawmakers dissatisfied.
"It is scandalous and I want to make sure that I vote against the proposed hike," she said.
The cabinet had given its nod to the bill under which the basic salary of the MPs will be hiked from Rs 16,000 to Rs 50,000 per month.
With some lawmakers not happy with the decision, the Lok Sabha witnessed an uproar last week by RJD, SP and JD-U members over the issue.
They were demanding the wages be raised to at least Rs 80,001, a rupee more than the salary of the Cabinet Secretary. Following the uproar, the Cabinet agreed for a further
raise in monthly allowances by Rs 10,000.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- DNA: Sheena Bora's murder case- Know how the mystery unfolded!
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- Live TV shootout of American journalists shocks the world
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea