Salman Khurshid hits out at Arun Jaitley
New Delhi: Slamming BJP leader Arun Jaitley`s statement that pre-retirement judgements affect judges` post-retirement plans, Law Minister Salman Khurshid on Monday said such remarks should be avoided.
"If I was him I would not have said this," he said.
Khurshid also said it is Jaitley`s stated position that judges should not be given official position after retirement.
He was referring to the statement of Jaitley, who is Leader of the Opposition in Rajya Sabha, that "pre-retirement judgements are influenced by a desire for a post-retirement job."
"...This clamour for post retirement jobs is adversely affecting impartiality of judiciary and time has come that it should come to an end," Jaitley had said even as BJP demanded a two-year cooling off period before retired judges are appointed to head tribunals.
- Real Estate Act, designed to protect consumer interest, comes into force from today
- What an idea! Here's why NCP workers in Maharashtra danced in 'Nagin' style - Watch video
- John Kerry to travel to Geneva on Sunday in show of support for Syria ceasefire: US
- Istanbul braces for police lockdown on May Day
- Jat leaders to hold ‘jail bharo’ movement in Haryana today, section 144 imposed in Jind