Salman Khurshid likely to file defamation case against India Today
New Delhi: Multiple defamation suits are being planned to be filed against India Today Group by Law Minister Salman Khurshid and his friends in the country and abroad over allegations of financial bungling by an NGO run by his family.
Close on the heels of a suit filed by Khurshid`s wife Louise in the Delhi High Court on October 12, the Law Minister is planning to file a defamation case against the media house in Bombay High Court in the next few days, sources said.
They, however, did not divulge the amount of damages to be sought in the civil defamation lawsuit but it is speculated that the sum could be huge.
The media house could also be dragged to court in London by "some people who have been hurt" by the sting operation conducted on Aaj Tak and Headlines Today last week, the sources said while noting that the channel is seen there as well.
On October 12, Khurshid`s wife Louise filed a defamation suit in the Delhi High Court against the media group for airing a programme alleging financial irregularities in NGO Zakir Hussain Memorial Trust run by the couple.
Sources said that damages of Rs 100 crore has been claimed in the lawsuit filed by Louise against the TV Today group for broadcasting the "defamatory" programme on Headlines Today and Aaj Tak recently.
A sting operation by the television channel has alleged that irregularities were committed in the Trust during 2009-2010 in Uttar Pradesh in the funds earmarked for differently-abled people.
Khurshid, while rubbishing the charges against him, told reporters yesterday that besides the defamation suit filed in the Delhi High Court, more cases are to follow.
"Some people associated with the Trust want a case to be filed in London courts as the channel is also shown there. I cannot stop them from doing so," he said.
Khurshid came out with certain papers and photographs yesterday in support of his claim that the charges were wrong.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof