Salman Khurshid mocks SC, EC; Jagdambika Pal calls him `mentally-bankrupt`
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid has heaped scorn on the Supreme Court and the Election Commission of India ahead of General Elections.
Speaking at an event in London, Khurshid mocked the EC, saying the directions issued by the organisation only ensure that a party will lose elections and not win them.
"They are only three and they can decide which word you can use during election campaign. The broad philosophical approach is that you should do and say nothing that wins you an election, you should try your best to lose election," Khurshid said.
The minister also mocked Supreme Court judges at the event.
"Judges sit and they say this is not to happen and of course go to the extent of threatening contempt proceedings against officials. Two judges can say anything about Parliamentarians that they will be allowed to contest or not, what kind of affidavit they have to file, what they can do and so on," he said.
Khurshid also reportedly slammed Jagdambika Pal, describing the former Congress leader as greedy and fickle-minded.
Pal had upset Khurshid by raking up the controversy over a trust run by the minister`s family.
Reacting to Khurshid`s comments, former Congress leader Jagdambika Pal said that only a mentally-bankrupt person can make such comments on judiciary and the EC.
Former JD(U) leader Shivanand Tiwari also said that when Khurshid is in Congress, the party doesn`t need anybody else to ruin it.
BJP leader Prakash Javadekar said that Khurshid`s diatribe against the EC is nothing but his sheer desperation. Meanwhile, retired Justice RS Sodhi said that it is not wrong to criticise the SC but it should be constructive.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves