Salman Khurshid to keep tab on Savita case
New Delhi: India`s External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid will keep a close watch on the developments in the case of the death of a pregnant Indian woman in Ireland.
He has also asked India`s mission in Dublin to keep in touch with Savita Halappanavar`s husband Praveen regularly and provide all necessary help to him and his family, said sources in the Ministry of External Affairs Sunday.
The instruction has been issued following a meeting of India`s ambassador to Ireland Debashish Chakravarthi with Ireland`s Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Eamon Gilmore, the sources said.
Savita, a Hindu from the Indian state of Karnataka, died of septicaemia Oct 28 in Ireland after doctors there refused to remove the foetus following a miscarriage on the ground that Ireland was a Catholic country.
Savita had arrived Oct 21 with back pain at Galway University Hospital where she was found to be miscarrying at 17 weeks.
Following the meeting between the Indian envoy and the Irish minister, a senior official from MEA met Savita`s husband and conveyed the Indian government`s "condolences and deep regret" over his wife`s demise.
The official also briefed Praveen Halappanavar of the details of discussions in Dublin and New Delhi between Indian and Irish officials.
Praveen was also "assured that the external affairs minister was closely following developments in the case".
Khurshid had also directed the Indian mission in the Dublin "to continue to regularly keep Praveen abreast of developments and provide all necessary assistance."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand