Salve criticises Justice Ganguly for casting aspersion on intern
New Delhi: Former Supreme Court judge, AK Ganguly, indicted over sexually harassing a law intern, on Tuesday came under attack from noted jurist Harish Salve who charged him with "casting aspersions" by accusing her of acting at somebody`s behest.
The senior advocate said Ganguly`s explanation over the intern`s charge and allegations against the three-member panel of the apex court judge, which "prima facie" held him guilty of "unwelcome behaviour" towards the young lady, "spoils his case".
Salve, a former Solicitor General, who was responding to the allegations by Ganguly in his letter to the Chief Justice of India P Sathasivam, "regretted" that the retired judge`s explanation amount to undermining the institution of the Supreme Court.
Ganguly, who is the chairman of West Bengal Human Rights Commission, in his letter to the CJI, had yesterday said there was a "palpable design" to malign him as he had given judgements against "powerful quarters".
He also complained that the Supreme Court had not given him a proper hearing.
Salve said "such an explanation has never been given. It is a matter of regret. There is a young lady who has made a complaint. The factual narrative is not now very far apart except in one vital area....," he told a TV channel.
"Three judges saw his demeanour when he gave his explanation and saw her demeanour too. They have thought prima facie there is much in what she is saying. He needs to deal with the allegation rather than cast aspersions on this young lady that she is acting at the behest of somebody.”
"I think this explanation, if at all, spoils his case. It does not do any justice to him and I wish he had not offered this explanation. His allegations against the panel are equally unfortunate.”
"He has been the member of the court. For him to suggest that people can`t have faith in Supreme Court judges where they are dealing with one of their own is too undermine the faith people of India have in this institution," Salve said.
The senior advocate said Justice Ganguly has not disagreed with the facts narrated by her before the panel.
"She says she was called to his hotel room, he agrees. She says in her affidavit the manner in which drinks and dinner were served in the hotel room late in the evening. I don`t think there is any difference in the factual narrative. He says that it was a cordial atmosphere. What was cordial for him was obviously not cordial for her," he said..
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA