Sam Pitroda oppose political interference in education
Bhubaneswar: Knowledge Commission
chairman Sam Pitroda on Saturday opposed the political interference
in higher education institutions like universities.
While putting forth his views at an interactive
programme organised by Task Force on Higher Education, Pitroda
pointed out that the current growth rate between seven to 10
per cent could not become sustainable unless there was growth
in education sector.
Pitroda said the vice-chancellor of a reputed
univarsity was unable to take decision without permission from
the politicians concerned.
He said Gurus (teachers) should be respected and
honoured as they hold the key to development of the nation.
Stating that political will is also a key factor for
brining change in the education system, Pitroda said he along
with Kapil Sibal and Montek Singh Ahluwalia were planning to
meet Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to get Higher Education
Bill passed in the parliament.
Since Orissa government had a strong political will
power to bring change in the system, Pitroda said he was
optimistic of the state becoming a learning centre soon.
India had already lost track on its traditional
knowledge, the advisor to Prime Minister on public
information, infrastructure and innovations, said adding that
there were as many as 12,000 herbal medicine plants available
in the country which could not be used for the betterment of
Recalling his childhood days at a nondescript place
in Orissa, Pitroda said traditional knowledge of his mother
kept him and his brothers and sisters healthy and wise.
"Therefore, traditional knowledge should be tapped, he
Reiterating recommendations made by Knowledge
Commission, Pitroda said India required at least 1500
universities to keep the country`s higher education going. The
scientists should also be allowed to teach in varsities which
could be helpful for students, he said.
Pitroda said as higher education required a high
funding, there was a need for developing infrastructure on
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof