Sam Pitroda to get honorary doctorate from Illinois varsity
Chicago: Telecom technoczar Sam Pitroda, who
is also the advisor to Prime Minister on infrastructure and innovation, has been selected for honorary doctorate in Human Letters by the University of Illinois.
The University bestows honorary degrees on individuals
who have performed exemplary service in ways that are viewed
as an extension of their own mission and dedication to
teaching, service and research.
Pitroda will receive the degree at the commencement of
the University of Illinois College of Medicine on May 7, 2010.
Pitroda, who is popularly known as the father of India`s
telecom revolution, has been a communication entrepreneur and
is widely known for bringing telephone service in the 1980`s
to far-flung areas of the country.
He was the first chairman of the Telecom Commission and
served in a variety of Indian Government advisory positions to
implement health-related projects in sanitation, clean water,
shelter, food and immunisation.
Holder of several patents, Pitroda is a leader in digital
switching and mobile phone technology. His invention of the
"Electronic Diary", in 1975, was one of the first hand-held
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- Punjabi films are Surveen Chawla's first love!- READ
- Rafael Nadal will travel to Rio, but injury situation still delicate: David Ferrer
- Mahasweta Devi – the gutsy social activist who took on political bigwigs for the dispossessed
- China says pressing ahead with own anti-missile system
- Sri Lanka vs Australia: Kusal Mendis emulates Kumar Sangakkara, scores 150-plus runs in 2nd innings against Aussies