Sam Pitroda to get honorary doctorate from Illinois varsity
Chicago: Telecom technoczar Sam Pitroda, who
is also the advisor to Prime Minister on infrastructure and innovation, has been selected for honorary doctorate in Human Letters by the University of Illinois.
The University bestows honorary degrees on individuals
who have performed exemplary service in ways that are viewed
as an extension of their own mission and dedication to
teaching, service and research.
Pitroda will receive the degree at the commencement of
the University of Illinois College of Medicine on May 7, 2010.
Pitroda, who is popularly known as the father of India`s
telecom revolution, has been a communication entrepreneur and
is widely known for bringing telephone service in the 1980`s
to far-flung areas of the country.
He was the first chairman of the Telecom Commission and
served in a variety of Indian Government advisory positions to
implement health-related projects in sanitation, clean water,
shelter, food and immunisation.
Holder of several patents, Pitroda is a leader in digital
switching and mobile phone technology. His invention of the
"Electronic Diary", in 1975, was one of the first hand-held
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends