Samajwadi Party readies for LS polls, releases first list of 55 candidates
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh`s ruling Samajwadi Party (SP) Friday announced 55 candidates for the next general elections due in 2014, the first off the block in the race to parliament, and said that candidates for 25 seats would be declared later.
Party general secretary Ram Gopal Yadav announced 55 candidates for the 80 Lok Sabha seats from Uttar Pradesh at the party headquarters in the state. While SP chief Mulayam Singh Yadav will again contest from Mainpuri, 16 other MPs have been repeated.
Ram Gopal Yadav, Mulayam Singh`s cousin, said that 17 sitting MPs, including Mulayam Singh, have been repeated in the list.
The party has also fielded Uttar Pradesh Vidhan Sabha Speaker Mata Prasad Pandey from Dumariyaganj.
The list includes Dimple Yadav, wife of Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav. She would be contesting from Kannuaj, a seat thrice held by her husband. She had won from Kannauj in a recent by-poll after Akhilesh Yadav vacated the seat to move to the state legislature.
Akshay Yadav, Mulayam Singh`s nephew, would contest from Firozabad. He is likely to fight a tough battle against sitting Congress MP and actor Raj Babbar, who was once with the SP.
Ashok Bajpai is the SP candidate from Lucknow, Surendra Singh Patel from Varanasi, Tilakram Verma from Faizabad and Maharaj Singh Dhangar from Agra.
Seventeen sitting MPs are contesting. They include Yashveer Singh (from Nageena), Dharmendra Yadav (Budayun), Mithlesh Kumar (Shahjahanpur), Usha Verma (Hardoi), Sushila Saroj (Mohanlalganj), Premdas Katheria (Etawah), Ghanshyam Anuragi (Jalaun), R.K. Patel (Banda), Rakesh Sachan (Fatehpur), Shailendra Kumar (Kaushambi), Kunwar Reoti Raman Singh (Allahabad), Brij Bhushan Saran Singh (Qaiserganj), late former prime minister Chandra Shekhar`s son Neeraj Shekhar (Ballia), and Pakaudi Lal Kol (Robertsganj).
Ram Gopal Yadav said that the SP was ready for the polls. "This will give us time to prepare for the Lok Sabha polls whenever they are held," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview