Samar Mukherjee `exceptional` Communist, says CPI-
New Delhi: The CPI-M described veteran leader Samar Mukherjee, who died on Thursday at the age of 100, as "a most exceptional, outstanding and dedicated" Communist leader.
A statement from the Communist Party of India-Marxist said Mukherjee was also a "valiant freedom fighter" and an able parliamentarian.
He was the oldest living member of the CPI-M.
"He dedicated his entire life as a Communist to the cause of the working class and to the exploited people of India," it said.
Formerly in the central committee and politburo, he was a special invitee to the central committee at the time of his death.
"Mukherjee played an outstanding role as a leading Communist parliamentarian," the CPI-M said.
"He won the admiration of leaders cutting across party lines because of his unambiguous commitment to the cause of the exploited masses...
"Rarely have we seen such an individual who sacrificed all personal interests, living a spartan life in a party commune in the service of the party. He was affable, easily accessible and loved by the people."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Tri-Nation series final: Mitchell Marsh, Josh Hazlewood guide Australia to 58-run win over West Indies
- History on line as Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer get Wimbledon under way
- 10-year-old boy injured after minor girl forces sex in Kanpur
- Plane catches fire while making emergency landing in Singapore
- Dear Deepika Padukone, your IIFA attires were KILLER! View in pics