Samar Mukherjee `exceptional` Communist, says CPI-
New Delhi: The CPI-M described veteran leader Samar Mukherjee, who died on Thursday at the age of 100, as "a most exceptional, outstanding and dedicated" Communist leader.
A statement from the Communist Party of India-Marxist said Mukherjee was also a "valiant freedom fighter" and an able parliamentarian.
He was the oldest living member of the CPI-M.
"He dedicated his entire life as a Communist to the cause of the working class and to the exploited people of India," it said.
Formerly in the central committee and politburo, he was a special invitee to the central committee at the time of his death.
"Mukherjee played an outstanding role as a leading Communist parliamentarian," the CPI-M said.
"He won the admiration of leaders cutting across party lines because of his unambiguous commitment to the cause of the exploited masses...
"Rarely have we seen such an individual who sacrificed all personal interests, living a spartan life in a party commune in the service of the party. He was affable, easily accessible and loved by the people."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi