Samjhauta probe: Pak summons Indian diplomat
Islamabad: Pakistan on Monday asked India to provide an early update to it on the investigations into the 2007 Samjhauta Express train bombing in the wake of RSS leader
Swami Aseemanand`s confession about the involvement of Sangh activists in the attack.
India`s acting Deputy High Commissioner GV Srinivas was called to the Foreign Office by Director General (South Asia) Afrasiab Mehdi Hashmi, who said information on progress
in the investigations should be provided by New Delhi "at the earliest".
In an apparent reference to Swami Aseemanand`s confession to a special court in New Delhi, a statement issued by the Foreign Office said the Indian diplomat`s "attention
was drawn to the recent reports in the media on the
investigations into the Samjhauta Express blasts of February
"It was reiterated to him that the government of
Pakistan was awaiting the progress made by the government of
India in the investigations into the Samjhauta Express blasts.
"It was also underlined to Mr Srinivas that a response
from the government of India may be conveyed at the earliest,"
the statement said.
Aseemanand, 59, recently confessed to the involvement
of Sangh activists in several terrorist attacks, including the
bombing of the Samjhauta Express that killed as many as 68
people, including 42 Pakistanis.
Sources in the Pakistan government said that the
Foreign Office is hoping India will provide an update on the
probe into the Samjahuta Express bombing before the Foreign
Secretaries of the two countries hold talks on the margins of
a SAARC meeting in Bhutan during February 6-7.
Pakistan had last week asked India to act
expeditiously to bring to justice the perpetrators of the
Samjhauta Express bombing.
"It took almost four years for the Samjhauta Express
investigations to come to this pass. We can only hope that no
further time will be squandered in bringing the criminals to
justice," Foreign Office spokesman Abdul Basit said.
Pakistan has asked India several times in the past two
years to apprise it of developments in the investigation.
The issue was raised by Pakistani officials and
leaders with Home Minister P Chidambaram and External Affairs
Minister S M Krishna when they visited Islamabad last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly