Sanatan Sanstha attacks politicians, alleges victimisation
Panaji: Why do politicians go free when their cadres indulge in murder, asks the rightwing Hindu group Sanatan Sanstha, questioning what it says is victimization of its members after two of its workers were killed while ferrying detonator rigged gelatin sticks.
Take this example which is fresh in memory. Why haven`t the police in Maharashtra questioned or interrogated Sharad Pawar after senior Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) leader Padmasinh Patil was accused and arrested for murder?" said Sanatan Sanstha managing trustee Virendra Marathe, alleging that the group`s cadres were being victimised by the media, police as well as politicians.
"Sanatan Sanstha does not believe in violence, but if an entire organisation is harassed in the manner we are after one or two of our members are responsible for the blast, then Pawar as NCP president should also be questioned after Patil committed murder," Marathe told agencies.
Two of its members were killed in Margao, 35 km from here, on Diwali eve when they were ferrying the explosive, which accidentally exploded before they could reach the site where people had gathered for Diwali festivities. Police also found and defused three other IEDs on the same night within a span of one hour.
According to Marathe, politicians were hitting out at the organisation because of its efforts at reforming society and nation building.
"The moment society becomes aware and questions politicians, they will lose out on their base. Politicians want to finish us," Marathe said on the sidelines of a press conference in the city Wednesday,
He was referring to state Home Minister Ravi Naik`s repeated statements that the Sanatan Sanstha was responsible for the blast. However, police has not yet named the group.
"We could be banned. It is a possibility, but our work will not stop," Marathe said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital
- Iranian Navy in `unsafe` intercept of US destroyer: Defense official